Simon Relph was a distinguished producer and enthusiastic supporter of new filmmakers and new voices. As Chairman of BAFTA he was a passionate advocate of the academy and his passion was critical to the profile and growth of independent British cinema. He opened many doors and worked tirelessly to create the necessary infrastructure to support new talent.
In recognition of the contribution Simon has made to the development of new talent, the Simon Relph Bursary will continue his legacy by supporting emerging producers in the early stages of their profession. Whilst there are numerous awards, bursaries and programmes for writers and directors, there is very little overt financial support available for producers especially those living outside of London.
The bursary of £20,000, from Creative England, aims to enable a new or emerging independent producer to develop their slate of projects and support their career development. In addition to the financial support a group of industry leaders, including Stephen Woolley; Tim Bevan; Rebecca O’Brien; Tessa Ross and Fodhla Cronin O’Reilly have agreed to provide ongoing support and mentoring. BAFTA have made available their learning events and will provide access to their London headquarters for networking and meetings.
- Applicants must live and work in the UK, outside of London
- Must have a production credit on a feature film in the past 5 years
The Simon Relph Memorial Bursary will be open for applications on 12th May at 5pm, click here to apply.
- Go to apply.bafta.org
- Register an account
- Go to the ‘Create Application’ tab on your dashboard
- Select the ‘Simon Relph Memorial Bursary’ application form
- Fill out the application as fully and clearly as you can; please note the form is dynamic and new questions will appear as criteria is fulfilled
- Once complete select ‘Submit’
- You will receive an email confirming receipt of your application. If you do not receive this email within 24 hours please contact email@example.com to check on the status of your application
- The deadline to apply is Friday 27 July 2018 at 5pm