On the 6th February we ran one of our successful crew nights in Manchester as part of our ERDF-backed business support programme, ProConnect. The event provided networking opportunities for around 150 people and we had a great turn out of companies and freelancers based in the Northwest from make-up designers to motion capture companies, drone and aerial facilities to runners and sound designers.
Hosted by our event partners MediaCityUK and supported by Performance Media and Insurance and Nationwide Platforms we had great night and were able to let attendees know about the workshops we’re starting to roll out in Manchester as part of the programme. But don’t take our word for it. This is what some of those attending on the night had to say:
“thank you for setting up such a great evening. We met some fantastic contacts”
“a quick note to say thanks for taking the time to introduce me to folks yesterday, really appreciated it”
“It was very busy & a great success. It was good to meet a couple of budding makeup artists who have been messaging me, I was able to give them some contacts”
“contributing to the overall event has been a superb experience as the buzz and vibrancy of the industry has been almost tangible.
The attendants were inspiring, savvy and eager to get to work to make their industry grow to an even bigger scale”
Our workshop programme also got underway last month. Professional development for our programme participants is a key part of ProConnect and our first two specialist workshops kicked off the programme in February. Working with training partners DV Talent ‘Finance for Freelancers’, followed by an afternoon session on ‘Networking for Freelancers’ gave delegates the chance to learn how to manage not only their cash flow, but setting up VAT , covered the differences of operating as a Sole trader Vs Limited company and then also showed delegates the skills needed to network and create and develop opportunities to find more work and business.
Participating on the day included TV directors, make up artists, casting directors, runners, videographers, focus pullers, writers and sound designers.
Feedback from the course led by experienced trainer David Thomas included:
- David was great wasn’t he - really inspiring and I have lots to think about including my Hotmail ( yikes)
- Thank you so much for organising the Finance and Networking Courses. The course content was excellent and delivered with real clarity. I left with all my questions answered and with a good understanding of a tax world that had previously been such a puzzle. It was also really great to chat with other creatives.
- Again, I'd like to thank you for yesterday, it was absolutely brilliant! David was such an engaging and perceptive speaker and it was also great to talk to other freelancers and hear about their experiences
Our next workshops will be delivered on the 11th May at Media city - booking will be opened in April:
- What makes a Successful Leader of a Creative Business - (9am – 1pm)
- Managing People for the first time – (2pm – 6pm)
Our next crew night will run in Autumn 2017.
If you would like to receive more information about ProConnect in Greater Manchester and how it can support your business, email firstname.lastname@example.org to register for updates and a one-to-one consultation.
- crew night
- Production Services